Thursday, March 18, 2010

Pork spare ribs braised in coconut (Suon ram man)


Seen like a long time since I posted the food recipe, well, I still cook, anyway, after my sister keeps on  cooking better and better, I just sit back and wait for eating time, haha.

But for a last few months after she gave birth to her little baby, she doesn't have time, so I'm have to be back in the kitchen for cooking again.
I love to cook, and for I long time I believe that I'm not good at cooking (or I just cook without the confidence), but things are change after my friend (who is a professional chef) told me not be afraid of it, just believe that it will be great and it will be.  Actually he makes me feel better about it, just a little by little (and a little harder than usual, haha), and taste it until you like the taste add a bit by bit and don't push yourself too hard. And now, I'm cooking with happiness again.


So, all I have to say is just do what you really want to do and don't be afraid, it's an adventure in your own kitchen. This time, I choose the recipe, that I think it must be delicious by its own ingredients, the spareribs and the coconut water, both of them have their own character the sweetness from the coconut water enhances the taste of the dish. This dish is great when served with a bowl of jasmine rice,  this sweet and salty dish will make you happy (to have another bowl of rice, haha)


Ps. if you serve the people who love to eat, this dish will serve only four people, this is my warning ^ ^.


Pork spare ribs braised in coconut 
Suon ram man
 Serves 4-6



2 tbsp ...................... finely chopped garlic  
1 red ........................ Asian shallot chopped 
2 tbsp ...................... fish sauce 
1 tsp ......................... oyster sauce 
2 tbsp .......................  sugar 
500g .......................... pork spare ribs , cut into 2 x 3cm pieces (ask the butcher to do it) 
.................................... vegetable oil for deep frying 
300ml ....................... young coconut water  
................................... (this can usually be found in small cartons for drinking)
1 ................................ onion, sliced into thin wedges
2 tsp ......................... chilli sauce  
2 ............................... coriander sprigs 
.................................. jasmine rice to serve




• In a bowl, combine 1 tbsp of the garlic, the shallot, fish sauce, oyster sauce, sugar 1/2 tsp salt and 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper. Mix well, then add the pork ribs and stir to coat well. Cover and place in the fridge to marinate for 20 minutes.






• Pour the oil into a wok and heat to 180C, or until a cube of bread dropped into it browns in 15 seconds. Add the undrained pork in batches and deep-fry over medium heat for 3 minutes or until brown. Remove the pork and drain on paper towel.
• Put the coconut water in a saucepan and bring to the boil Add the pork ribs, reduce the heat and simmer for 5 minutes, then increase the heat and cook for a further 3 minutes, or until the coconut water has reduced to a quarter of its original amount. 




Add the remaining garlic, the onion, chilli sauce and a pinch of freshly ground black pepper. Stir constantly for 5 minutes, then turn off the heat. Transfer the ribs to a serving bowl and garnish with the coriander sprigs. Serve with jasmine rice.



Pork spare ribs braised in coconut (Suon ram man)

3 comments:

  1. Hi,

    If i were to change it to chicken, will the method be the same?

    rgds,

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, devan
    If replace the pork with the chicken, I suggest using the mini drums(from wings).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great recipe! And the pictures really helped!

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...