Wednesday, August 19, 2009

Simple Shortbread: So simple, but so delicious too!

Shortbread again!, well, I will have a lot more, haha, because this easy and simple cookie is delicious ^ ^.

This time I got the recipe from my new book  which I just bought it last month ( Actually I shouldn't buy it that day, I went out with my friends and did a lot of shopping >*< , I just couldn't carry anything more, but whenever I see that book that I like I just have to take it home, haha.) This time the shortbread is the pure one, without any fragrance added. So, the butter is the point, I have to admit that I didn't use the best one (and I'm regret about it), because the taste is good! But because I choose the plain butter, well, what can I say about the butter, I think if you bake a lot and love to eat like me, you may know about the butter that have butter taste and fragrance (like Europe style butter). But (well, I always love to give you the option, haha) you can add the vanilla too if you want, because not all of us love the plain smell (but delicious) of the butter and the sugar, the shortbread will be delicious anyway. I need to talk about the book too ^ ^, I will review it later, but now let me say that this one is great. I love the tip and technique, which will help you bake better. Like for this shortbread they suggest to knead it, to make the shortbread less crumble (and this is what I want, every times I make the shortbread they will turn out crumble). So, try this recipe as a sample to this great book will be a good idea for everyone too, and I hope you will enjoy this simple cookie too.


Shortbread
Makes 16 wedges


2½cups (11½ ounces)
all-purpose flour
½ teaspoon
salt
16 tbsp (8 ounces)
unsalted butter, softened
¼ cup (2 ounces)
confectioners sugar
1 tablespoon
granulated sugar





1. Whisk the flour and salt together in a medium bowl.
In a large bowl, beat the butter and confectioners’ sugar together with an electric mixer on medium speed until light and fluffy, 3 to 6 minutes, scraping down the bowl and beaters as needed.

2. Reduce the mixer speed to low and slowly mix in the flour mixture until combined about 30 seconds.
Using your hands, press the dough into a ball in the bowl. Transfer the dough to a lightly floured counter and knead until it is very smooth, about 3 minutes.

3. Press the dough into a round disk, then place it on top of a piece of parchment paper and roll out into a 9-inch circle, about ½ inch thick. Transfer the dough and parchment to a parchment-lined baking sheet.
Crimp the edges, then poke the dough all over with a fork and score into 16 wedges. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate the dough for 20 minutes.

4. Adjust an oven rack to the middle position and heat the oven to 300 degrees. Sprinkle the granulated sugar evenly over the dough. Bake the shortbread until pale golden brown, 40 to 45 minutes, rotating the baking sheet halfway through baking.
5. Transfer the baking sheet to a wire rack and, using a sharp knife, cut through the scored marks to separate the wedges. Let cool on the baking sheet for 10 minutes then transfer to a wire rack and let cool completely before serving, about 1 hour.

Simple Shortbread: So simple, but so delicious too!

4 comments:

  1. I've missed your blogs.

    Okay, go write another now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's so easy and simple. Thanks so much for your recipes. I will make it on next time.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've always wanted to make shortbread but am a little hesitating to do so as I am not too sure if it is the right way to do as stated in the recipe. Having say that and by looking at the ease and the wonderful shortbread that you have created has in fact boost up my confident level... thanks so much for it and the wonderful recipe. Will try the recipe soon and link you to tmy website.

    Cheers
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've always wanted to make shortbread but am a little hesitating to do so as I am not too sure if it is the right way to do as stated in the recipe. Having say that and by looking at the ease and the wonderful shortbread that you have created has in fact boost up my confident level... thanks so much for it and the wonderful recipe. Will try the recipe soon and link you to tmy website.

    Cheers
    Olivia

    ReplyDelete

Printfriendly

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...